First few days...

Alrighty then. Time for a catch up. Leaving the UK ended up being not quite the ordeal I expected it to be. It was weird, seeing my flat all empty, and nice, the help that people gave me, and the nice messages everyone sent.... but on the day I was just excited! Didn't expect that, thought I'd be in bits.

So - Germany! I was met at the airport by Maja, Daniel and Anita (who'd brought a big German flag with her - how lovely!). Got back to Maja's and unpacked in about 45 minutes - easy when Maja's made lots of room for me.  The next day (the first full one) was all lovely. Nice walk in the countryside, visit to an Eiscafe (an ice cream cafe), unpacked all my things, and had my first screw up as an Englishman....

Eiscafe treats

Went to a bar in the evening, and when the waitress came to take my money (for an 11 Euro bill), I gave it to her (a 20 Euro note) and said "thank you", then waited for my change. Unbeknownst to me, thank you was an indication of "that's all", and she thought t'was a 9 Euro tip. For British folk, that's about 9 quid. A long awkward bit followed where we couldn't decide if she really thought it was a tip or not, but thankfully, Maja and her family sorted it all out for me, while I went bright red, and reclaimed the accidental tip. Embarrassing! But at least I learnt. Who'd have thought manners could cause problems!

The rest of the week up to now's been really good - weather generally better than the UK - even when it's rainy it's still warm.  Not done LOTS of funtime things, saving that for next week when my folks are here. But enjoying us some Breaking Bad and having lots of nice walks.

Meet Ali, my housemate.

I really want to learn the German now. Everyone's being really nice and welcoming, but it's frustrating having to rely on Maja to translate everything, although she's doing so regularly and without any complaint - I'm right lucky for having her!

So tonight we're off to Heidelberg to see Adam. First up though, a run through some of the awesome Neu-Anspach countryside. BYE!

2 comments:

  1. Glad your enjoying yourself.I must remember that manners are expensive in Germany other wise we will be skint before we get home.Cant wait for next week.Have a great time

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you are enjoying life, will see you next week

    ReplyDelete